The Elusive Mangle
The day began with so much promise...
what were the odds that with 2 mangles available neither one would work out?
After eying the Kenmore mangle upstairs in the kitchen nook my mom quickly dismissed it saying that the heating element was on top rather than underneath the roller like on the Ironrite model she learned on and has used for close to 70 years!
Even though it initially looked a little worse for wear, she was hopeful.
This Bendix model had the heating element in the right place and it's original manual!
Sam and my husband set about looking for an electrical outlet and extension cord so they could plug it in and see if this baby still worked.
In the meantime I could tell my mom was losing interest after a closer inspection of the lift up tray which wouldn't stay up. You see, she's a little snobby when it comes to mangles. She's an Ironrite girl all the way.
She maintains that at her age she doesn't want to learn the nuances of a different brand even though it still had it's operating manual.
Believe me, we tried to convince her but to no avail.
Here is a side view showing the section that folds out to support the fabric while you feed it through.
After we got it plugged in and heated up she sat down and readied herself to start ironing. Unfortunately it was at this point we discovered that the levers/pedals you work with your knees were not in working order.
Personally, I think she was relieved because what she really wants is an Ironrite and told me she is willing to wait for it.
And so for me... the search and the guilt continue.
I promise you this though, when we do find that elusive Ironrite mangle I will have my mom give you all a tutorial!
I promise you this though, when we do find that elusive Ironrite mangle I will have my mom give you all a tutorial!










Comments
xo Cathy
xo Elizabeth
I had never ever heard of a mangle before. I love your mom, she knows her stuff!
That's classy & smart too.
Xo
Lisa
Sharon
xx
It was in last Sunday's Home and Garden section. I can't wait to go see it. I am at Filthy Gorgeous this week filling in for a friend. If your in the area, come by and say hi! (Love the Mangle by the way.) It would be really cute in a Country house.
I hope she wasn't too
disappointed and I like
that SHE likes-what-she-
likes and knows herself
well, to boot!
xx Suzanne
http://ginaceramics.blogspot.com/2011/01/monday-is-wash-day-tuesday-is-ironing.html